Welcome to Insight Notes. This is what we do:
Insight Notes is an iPad-based recordkeeping system designed to meet the needs of professionals who take notes or keep records on a per-client or per-project basis. It is designed to be secure, simple, intuitive, and convenient. Insight Notes was originally designed to meet the needs of health professionals who have strict security requirements and who wish to keep electronic notes, but do not need a multifaceted practice-management system tied to billing, insurance claims, scheduling, or invoicing.
- Intuitive and automatic organization of notes: Organized the way you work: automatically by date, within client/project folders. View all of your files with a flick of your finger.
- Encrypted, secure, and HIPAA compliant: All notes are AES-256 encrypted. Insight Notes has also been issued an encryption registration number and commodity classification code from the United States Bureau of Industry and Security. Notes stored on the remote backup server are encrypted and housed in a SAS 70 Type II certified data center. No one has access to your notes in unencrypted format.
- Universal Compatibility: Insight Notes enables the exporting of files in PDF format, which can be viewed on any computer or device. You aren't tied to a Mac or PC. You can batch export multiple notes at the same time.
- Remote backup: encrypted notes are stored on the iPad and also at a remote backup (with purchase of the backup service). If you lose your iPad, you don't lose your notes. In contrast with other cloud storage solutions, you can be assured that our cloud backup service will facilitate your HIPAA compliance.
- Internet connection not required: you don't need an internet connection to use Insight Notes. Your notes are stored and encrypted locally. If you use our backup service, simply sync the next time you have an internet connection.
- Easy and organized exporting of notes: to export your notes using the Insight Notes encrypted sharing service, simply select the entire client/project, or select specific notes from within the record. Insight Notes organizes and securely delivers your notes to whomever you wish.
- Beautifully finished notes: when you elect to "complete" a note, the contents are automatically imported onto letterhead with your signature and contact information.
- Take notes in multiple formats: Type, Draw, or Scan: Use the onscreen iPad keyboard, an external keyboard, or dictate your notes.* Use a stylus or your finger to draw.
- Use the iPad camera to scan a document: Have a piece of paper you want to make part of your notes? Not a problem. Insight Notes allows you scan a document, too. Simply lay the paper on a flat surface and use Insight Notes to take a picture of the document using the iPad's camera. Insight Notes saves the image as one of your notes.
We designed Insight Notes to appeal directly to four types of users:
Healthcare professionals with uncomplicated recordkeeping needs. These are fee-for-service clinicians or forensic evaluators who frequently travel and take notes "on the go." These users primarily keep records in the form of notes or progress notes (i.e., do not typically use forms, lab reports, or films), and want an easy way to securely manage their collection of notes. These users do not need a robust practice management system that involves insurance claims billing, scheduling, etc., and may currently utilize paper notepads, word processors, or may have already devised an ad-hoc system involving a collection of apps, devices, and cloud-storage services. These users want to make their recordkeeping practices more organized, portable, and secure. Insight Notes secures, simplifies, and streamlines these processes.
Healthcare professionals who already utilize a practice management system. Many professionals have already elected to use online or desktop practice management systems, which are particularly good for multi-user scheduling, billing, or producing insurance industry compliant invoices. However, these users may require a more streamlined application for the secure collection of notes while "on the go," for select private pay clients, for other professional activities such as evaluations, or for the secure transmission of notes. These may also be users who wish to keep "Psychotherapy Notes," which must be kept separately from other charting materials. For these users, Insight Notes is designed to supplement, not supplant, existing recordkeeping practices.
Non-healthcare professionals who take notes on a per-client or per-project basis. It's not just healthcare professionals who need to keep notes on a per-client basis. Consultants, attorneys, personal trainers, and many other professionals need an organized system for keeping notes. Importantly, these users need a reliable and secure means to export notes in batches, either on a date-specific or per-client basis. Insight Notes allows these users the flexibility to group notes on a per-project basis, easily add notes to existing records, and to send pre-organized files to team-members or clients.
Students. Insight Notes is particularly well-suited for students who take notes on a per-course basis. Rather than keeping a single word processing file, subdivided by dates, Insight Notes automatically organizes notes according to the dates of the lectures. Insight Notes also allows students to scan handouts directly into the record, so that handouts appear alongside the notes that were taken on that date. Need to send notes to a classmate who missed a class? Not a problem. Just select the notes you want to send and Insight Notes does the rest. The recipient receives an organized zip file of PDF files, pre-organized according to date.
*Please note that if you elect to use Apple's built-in dictation software, this means that the audio files you elect to dictate will be sent to Apple. Apple reports that it takes precautions to de-identify the data submitted for dictation to maintain your privacy, but it nevertheless is sent to Apple. Consider this when using Apple's dictation software and, if necessary, type those portions of your notes that contain identifying or sensitive information.